Fairy wings cake
- 470 gram packet buttercake mix
- 1/4 cup (80g) apricot jam, warmed, sieved
- 35 centimetre x 45cm prepared cake board
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 300 gram ready-made white icing
- pink food colouring
- 28 centimetre doll
- 60 gram jar silver cachous
- 6 blue ready-made icing flowers
- 6 pink ready-made icing flowers
Fairy wings cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) deep flat-based patty pan with standard silver paper cases. Line four 12-hole mini (1-tablespoon/20ml) muffin pans with mini silver paper cases.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet. Drop 2 level tablespoons of the mixture into each standard paper case; drop 2 level teaspoons of the mixture into each mini paper case. Bake large cakes about 20 minutes; bake small cakes about 15 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Brush tops of all cakes with jam. On a surface dusted with sifted icing sugar, knead the ready-made icing until smooth. Tint two-thirds of the icing pale pink; tint remaining icing dark pink.
- 4Roll dark pink icing until 3mm thick. Using a 4.5cm fluted cutter, cut 10 rounds from the icing; position rounds on large cakes. Roll pale pink icing until 3mm thick. Using a 3cm fluted cutter, cut 44 rounds from icing; position rounds on small cakes.
- 5Position doll on prepared board. Using picture as a guide, position cakes around doll for wings; secure with a little butter cream. Gently push cachous onto pale pink cakes. Brush the backs of the ready-made icing flowers with a little water, then position on dark pink cakes.
You'll have about 1 cup of the cake mixture left over, enough for about six more little cakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022