- 1 tablespoon unrefined sugar (see tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 fresh long red chilli, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 small purple kohlrabi (440g), cut into matchsticks, leaves washed, shredded finely
- 2 medium carrots (240g), cut into matchsticks
- 500 grams (1 pound) beef fillet, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro), leaves and roots separated
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh vietnamese mint, leaves and stalks separated
- 1Place sugar, sauce, vinegar and chilli in a screw-top jar; shake well.
- 2Place kohlrabi, shredded kohlrabi leaves and carrot in a large bowl with dressing; toss gently to combine.
- 3Combine beef and garlic in a medium bowl.
- 4Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add peanuts to dry wok; stir-fry for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from wok; chop coarsely.
- 5Finely chop coriander roots. Heat half the oil in wok; stir-fry coriander root for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add half the beef; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from wok. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Return beef to wok with tamarind; stir-fry to combine.
- 6Serve beef with kohlrabi salad, topped with herbs and peanuts.
We used panela sugar, also known as rapadura, but any unrefined whole cane sugar can be used.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 10:02pm
- Summer puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019