- 1 tablespoon unrefined sugar (see tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 fresh long red chilli, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 small purple kohlrabi (440g), cut into matchsticks, leaves washed, shredded finely
- 2 medium carrots (240g), cut into matchsticks
- 500 grams (1 pound) beef fillet, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro), leaves and roots separated
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh vietnamese mint, leaves and stalks separated
- 1Place sugar, sauce, vinegar and chilli in a screw-top jar; shake well.
- 2Place kohlrabi, shredded kohlrabi leaves and carrot in a large bowl with dressing; toss gently to combine.
- 3Combine beef and garlic in a medium bowl.
- 4Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add peanuts to dry wok; stir-fry for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from wok; chop coarsely.
- 5Finely chop coriander roots. Heat half the oil in wok; stir-fry coriander root for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add half the beef; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from wok. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Return beef to wok with tamarind; stir-fry to combine.
- 6Serve beef with kohlrabi salad, topped with herbs and peanuts.
We used panela sugar, also known as rapadura, but any unrefined whole cane sugar can be used.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chinese omelettesYesterday 1:00pm
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Traditional shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon and sugar pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020