- 8 x 100g (3oz) large portobello mushrooms, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 300 grams (medium) eggplant, cut into 4 slices crossways
- 200 grams (6½oz) goat's fetta, cut into 4 slices crossways
- 400 grams (12½oz) tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 small (400g) avocados
- 100 grams (3oz) baby spinach
- 50 grams (1½oz) baby rocket leaves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (50g) walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Place mushrooms cup-side up, on two trays. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil; season. Place eggplant on remaining tray. Drizzle with ¼ cup of the remaining oil. Roast mushrooms and eggplant for 35 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, make rocket and walnut pesto.
- 4Place fetta slices on an oven tray. Place under hot grill (broiler) for 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 5Toss tomatoes in remaining oil and the vinegar in a medium bowl.
- 6Place four mushrooms, cup-side up, on plates. Top with fetta, eggplant, tomato, avocado, spinach, pesto and remaining mushrooms, cup-side down. Season. Top burger with
sesame seeds, if you like.
- 7Blend or process rocket, basil, walnuts, garlic and parmesan until combined. Add oil in a thin steady stream, blend until smooth. Add juice; blend until just combined. If pesto is too thick, add 1 tablespoon water. Season. (Makes 1 cup)
Store any left over pesto covered by a thin film of olive oil in the fridge for up to 1 week. Use in sandwiches or swirled through vegetable soups. Pesto can be made a day ahead; keep tightly covered in the fridge. It can also be frozen in a small container for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Chilli con carneYesterday 1:15am
- What's in season in January?Jan 20, 2020
- Chilli con capsicumJan 19, 2020
- Gai lan and mushroom five-spice stir-fryJan 19, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020