- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 50 gram butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Place the dates in a glass or stainless steel bowl and add baking soda and boiling water. Stir and allow to stand for 10 minutes to soften.
- 2Stir in butter and sugar, mixing until the dates have broken up and the sugar has dissolved. Add the eggs, ginger and flour, then gently mix until smooth.
- 3Pour into a lined 20cm square cake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- 4For caramel sauce, simply simmer the brown sugar, cream and vanilla for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat to cool and thicken.
If you’re a fan of crystal ginger, add ¼ cup, finely chopped, to the batter. This cake is so simple to make and the results look stunning when plated and dripping with caramel sauce! Freeze the cake for last-minute dinner parties or a special Sunday night treat.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022