Looking for more custard desserts?
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
- grated fresh nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat the oven to moderately slow, 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
- 2Bring the milk almost to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- 3Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla essence to taste in a bowl until just combined (do not aerate).
- 4Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Strain into a 1-litre (4-cup) capacity shallow ovenproof dish (or pie plate). Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- 5Place dish inside a larger baking dish, Carefully pour boiling water into baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the custard dish. Bake for about 45 minutes or until custard just wobbles in the centre or when a small sharp knife inserted in the centre of custard comes out clean.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- Jam roll puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- Hungarian goulashYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty tagine recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020
- Pumpkin sconesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020