- 250 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, plus extra, to dust
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a pencil, draw an 18cm diameter circle on baking paper, then turn paper over so pencil marking faces down.
- 3Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sifted icing sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add sifted flour and cornflour. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth.
- 4Divide dough into 2 portions. Using marked circle as a guide, shape each portion on a prepared tray.
- 5Smooth surface with a palette knife. Using fingers, crimp edges then prick surface with a fork. Using a sharp knife, score 8 wedges on each disc. Bake 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce oven temperature to slow, 150°C (130°C fan-forced).
- 7Bake shortbread a further 40 minutes, or until light golden. Cool 10 minutes on trays. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8Using scoring as a guide, cut into wedges. Serve dusted with extra icing sugar.
Beat butter and sugar until as pale as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022