If you would prefer a gluten-free shortbread recipe?
- 250 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, plus extra, to dust
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a pencil, draw an 18cm diameter circle on baking paper, then turn paper over so pencil marking faces down.
- 3Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sifted icing sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add sifted flour and cornflour. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth.
- 4Divide dough into 2 portions. Using marked circle as a guide, shape each portion on a prepared tray.
- 5Smooth surface with a palette knife. Using fingers, crimp edges then prick surface with a fork. Using a sharp knife, score 8 wedges on each disc. Bake 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce oven temperature to slow, 150°C (130°C fan-forced).
- 7Bake shortbread a further 40 minutes, or until light golden. Cool 10 minutes on trays. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8Using scoring as a guide, cut into wedges. Serve dusted with extra icing sugar.
Beat butter and sugar until as pale as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020