- 250 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, plus extra, to dust
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a pencil, draw an 18cm diameter circle on baking paper, then turn paper over so pencil marking faces down.
- 3Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sifted icing sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add sifted flour and cornflour. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth.
- 4Divide dough into 2 portions. Using marked circle as a guide, shape each portion on a prepared tray.
- 5Smooth surface with a palette knife. Using fingers, crimp edges then prick surface with a fork. Using a sharp knife, score 8 wedges on each disc. Bake 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce oven temperature to slow, 150°C (130°C fan-forced).
- 7Bake shortbread a further 40 minutes, or until light golden. Cool 10 minutes on trays. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8Using scoring as a guide, cut into wedges. Serve dusted with extra icing sugar.
Beat butter and sugar until as pale as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 6:37am
- 28 picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Spring rollsYesterday 1:55am
- Mixed berry muffinsYesterday 12:30am
- Almond caramel barsSep 23, 2021
- Sausage rollsSep 23, 2021
- Mussels in tomato sauceSep 23, 2021
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Our 23 best toastie recipesSep 23, 2021
- Thai spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Teriyaki chicken salad rollsSep 23, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2021
- TabboulehSep 23, 2021
- Greek salad lamb pitta pocketsSep 23, 2021
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertSep 23, 2021