- 1 kilogram good-quality sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 gram butter
- 2 (600g) brown onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Place sausages on an oven tray lined with baking paper; bake for about 10 minutes or until browned. Slice thickly.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based pan, add onion; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until browned lightly. Take care not to have the heat too high - if the onion burns, it will give an unpleasant flavour.
- 3Add the flour to the onion; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until browned. Gradually add the stock and the water, then add the sauces and sausages.
- 4Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through (or cover and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes). Season to taste with salt and ground white pepper.
- 5Serve with creamy mashed potato and buttered green beans, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019