- 1 kilogram good-quality sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 gram butter
- 2 (600g) brown onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Place sausages on an oven tray lined with baking paper; bake for about 10 minutes or until browned. Slice thickly.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based pan, add onion; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until browned lightly. Take care not to have the heat too high - if the onion burns, it will give an unpleasant flavour.
- 3Add the flour to the onion; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until browned. Gradually add the stock and the water, then add the sauces and sausages.
- 4Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through (or cover and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes). Season to taste with salt and ground white pepper.
- 5Serve with creamy mashed potato and buttered green beans, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019