- 1 kilogram good-quality sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 gram butter
- 2 (600g) brown onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Place sausages on an oven tray lined with baking paper; bake for about 10 minutes or until browned. Slice thickly.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based pan, add onion; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until browned lightly. Take care not to have the heat too high - if the onion burns, it will give an unpleasant flavour.
- 3Add the flour to the onion; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until browned. Gradually add the stock and the water, then add the sauces and sausages.
- 4Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through (or cover and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes). Season to taste with salt and ground white pepper.
- 5Serve with creamy mashed potato and buttered green beans, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021