- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600 gram (1¼ ounces) beef rump steak, sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoon dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup (300g) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook beef, in batches, until browned lightly. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in the same pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, 4 minutes or until onion softens. Add paprika and mushrooms; cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, season to taste.
- 3Return beef to pan with wine and juice; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until beef is tender. Add paste, sour cream and dill; cook, stirring, until heated through. Serve stroganoff with steamed rice or mashed potato or fettuccine.
Sweet paprika, also known as Hungarian paprika, is a spice derived from various forms of dried capsicum (bell pepper), and is used extensively throughout Europe. It's one of the defining flavours of a stroganoff. Don't be tempted to use smoked paprika (used in Spanish cooking), it will overwhelm the flavours of the dish.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021