- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600 gram (1¼ ounces) beef rump steak, sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoon dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup (300g) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook beef, in batches, until browned lightly. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in the same pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, 4 minutes or until onion softens. Add paprika and mushrooms; cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, season to taste.
- 3Return beef to pan with wine and juice; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until beef is tender. Add paste, sour cream and dill; cook, stirring, until heated through. Serve stroganoff with steamed rice or mashed potato or fettuccine.
Sweet paprika, also known as Hungarian paprika, is a spice derived from various forms of dried capsicum (bell pepper), and is used extensively throughout Europe. It's one of the defining flavours of a stroganoff. Don't be tempted to use smoked paprika (used in Spanish cooking), it will overwhelm the flavours of the dish.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021