- 1 cup (160g) brown rice
- 1/2 cup (100g) pearl barley
- 1/2 cup (45g) steel cut oats
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) water
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 ripe persimmon (120g), sliced thinly
- 125 grams (4 ounces) blueberries
- 1/4 cup (60g) pomegranate seeds (see tips)
- 1/4 cup (35g) hazelnuts, roasted, chopped
- 3/4 cup (200g) vanilla yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, extra
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1Combine rice, barley, oats, the water, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and seeds and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to base of pan, or until grains are tender with a slight bite.
- 2Stir in milk and maple syrup; cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 3Serve porridge topped with persimmon slices, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts and yoghurt; drizzle with extra maple syrup and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
To remove the seeds from a pomegranate, cut a pomegranate in half crossways; hold it, cut-side down, in the palm of your hand over a bowl, then hit the outside firmly with a wooden spoon. The seeds should fall out easily; discard any white pith that falls out with them.
Pomegranate seeds will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Cool any leftover porridge and keep, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Stir in a little extra milk just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021