- 1 cup (220 grams) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 millilitres) water
- 2 egg whites
- 1In a small saucepan, combine sugar and the water; stir with a wooden spoon over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 3 to 5 minutes or until syrup is slightly thick. If a candy thermometer is available, the syrup will be ready when it reaches 114°C.
- 2Otherwise, when the syrup is thick, remove the pan from the heat, allow the bubbles to subside then test the syrup by dropping 1 tsp into a cup of cold water. The syrup should form a ball of soft sticky toffee when rolled gently between your fingertips.
- 3The syrup should not change colour; if it does, it has been cooked for too long and you will have to discard it and start again.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff; keep beating (or whites will deflate) until syrup reaches the correct temperature.
- 5When syrup is ready, allow bubbles to subside then pour a very thin stream onto the egg whites with mixer operating on medium speed. If syrup is added too quickly to the egg whites, frosting will not thicken. Continue beating and adding syrup until all syrup is used. Continue to beat until frosting stands in stiff peaks (frosting should be barely warm by this stage).
- 6Tint frosting, if desired, by beating food colouring through while mixing, or by stirring through with spatula at the end. Frosting can also be flavoured with a little of any essence of your choice.
- 7For best results, frosting should be applied to a cake on the day it is to be served, while the frosting is still soft and has a marshmallow consistency. While you can frost the cake the day before, the frosting will become crisp and lose its glossy appearance, much like a meringue.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneYesterday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesYesterday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019