- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 3 cup (660g) caster sugar
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 90 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar mixture
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 26.5cm x 33cm (14-cup) baking dish and line base with baking paper.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, butter and combined sifted cocoa powder and soda. Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 3Add flour and egg to cooled mixture; beat with electric mixer until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- 4Bake about 50 minutes. Stand cake in baking dish 10 minutes, before turning onto wire rack; turn cake top-side up to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make frosting: combine butter, water and caster sugar in small saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- 6Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into small bowl then gradually stir in hot butter mixture. Cover and refrigerate about 20 minutes or until frosting thickens. Beat with wooden spoon until spreadable.
- 7Spread cold cake with fudge frosting.
Choose a perfectly level-bottomed baking dish; one made from cast aluminium is the best choice, but almost any type will work. If the cake appears to be cooking too quickly in the corners of the pan, reduce oven temperature; this may increase cooking time by up to 15 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 29 fabulous fetta recipesJun 24, 2022
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022