- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) minced (ground) lean beef
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), sliced finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar
Mashed potato topping
- 6 medium potatoes (1.2kg), chopped coarsely
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook beef and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add carrot, celery, thyme, stock, sauce, paste and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add peas; cook for 10 minutes or until peas are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, to make mashed potato topping, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk.
- 5Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread topping over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pie is heated through and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021