- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) minced (ground) lean beef
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), sliced finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar
Mashed potato topping
- 6 medium potatoes (1.2kg), chopped coarsely
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook beef and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add carrot, celery, thyme, stock, sauce, paste and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add peas; cook for 10 minutes or until peas are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, to make mashed potato topping, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk.
- 5Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread topping over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pie is heated through and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019