- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) minced (ground) lean beef
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), sliced finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar
Mashed potato topping
- 6 medium potatoes (1.2kg), chopped coarsely
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook beef and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add carrot, celery, thyme, stock, sauce, paste and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add peas; cook for 10 minutes or until peas are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, to make mashed potato topping, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk.
- 5Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread topping over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pie is heated through and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Red lentil and pumpkin wrapsToday 1:44am
- 30 quick and easy recipesYesterday 11:46pm
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019