- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) minced (ground) lean beef
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), sliced finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar
Mashed potato topping
- 6 medium potatoes (1.2kg), chopped coarsely
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook beef and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add carrot, celery, thyme, stock, sauce, paste and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add peas; cook for 10 minutes or until peas are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, to make mashed potato topping, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk.
- 5Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread topping over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pie is heated through and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Santa Claus Christmas ice-cream cakeToday 4:33am
- Nutty choc-chip boiled fruit cakesToday 12:51am
- Rum and raisin shortbreadToday 12:48am
- Rice-cooker bibimbapToday 12:29am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- 25 rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesYesterday 1:00pm
- Aussie meat piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Melt-in-the-mouth eggnog shortbreadsYesterday 1:00pm
- Everything you need to know about the Air FryerYesterday 1:00pm
- Teriyaki poke bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 Christmas recipes that will surprise your guestsYesterday 1:00pm
- Rudolph the reindeer cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- 14 sensational Christmas shortbread variationsYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerYesterday 1:00pm