- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) minced (ground) lean beef
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), sliced finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100g), sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar
Mashed potato topping
- 6 medium potatoes (1.2kg), chopped coarsely
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook beef and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 3Add carrot, celery, thyme, stock, sauce, paste and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add peas; cook for 10 minutes or until peas are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, to make mashed potato topping, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk.
- 5Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread topping over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until pie is heated through and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Deep-pan pepperoni pizzaAug 15, 2022
- How to bake fresh sourdough batardAug 15, 2022
- Mushroom and goat’s cheese ravioliAug 15, 2022
- Grilled chicken with barley pilafAug 15, 2022
- 28 easy cheesecake slicesAug 15, 2022
- Pasta winterveraAug 15, 2022
- 24 vegetarian lasagne recipesAug 15, 2022
- Tuna mornayAug 15, 2022
- 31 brilliant baked cheesecakesAug 14, 2022
- Overnight oats with muddled strawberriesAug 14, 2022
- Classic blueberry muffinsAug 14, 2022
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022