- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) iced water
- 10 medium apples (1.5kg)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/2 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra, for sprinkling
- 1To make pastry, process the dry ingredients with the butter until crumbly. Add the egg yolk and the water; process until just combined. Knead lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Peel, core and slice the apples thickly. Place the apples and the water in a large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the apples soften. Drain; stir sugar, rind and cinnamon into the apples. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 25cm pie dish.
- 4Divide pastry in half. Roll one half between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line the dish. Lift pastry into the dish; press into base and sides. Spoon cooled apple mixture into the pastry case; brush the edge with egg white.
- 5Roll the remaining pastry large enough to cover the filling; lift onto the filling. Press the edges together; trim away excess pastry. Brush the pastry with egg white; sprinkle with extra sugar. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 6Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (160°C fan-forced); bake for about 25 minutes or until golden-brown. Serve with vanilla custard or scoops of vanilla ice-cream, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019