- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
Toasted nori chips
- sesame seeds
- sea salt, crumbled
- nori (seaweed) sheets
- sesame oil
Toasted nori chips
- 1Make nanami togarashi: Dry-fry rind in a small frying pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until rind is dry and crispy. Place in a screw-top jar with remaining ingredients; shake well to combine.
- 2Crush sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle; combine with 2 teaspoons of the nanami togarashi and the salt. (Store remaining nanami togarashi for another use.)
- 3Using scissors, cut each nori sheet into triangles or squares. Place on a large baking-paper-lined oven tray; lightly brush nori with sesame oil.
- 4Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat; toast nori, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until crisp. Return to paper-lined tray; sprinkle immediately with nanami togarashi mixture.
Namami togarashi is a Japanese spice mix. The blend contains red peppers, sansho pepper, orange rind, black and white sesame seeds, seaweed and ginger. It is available from Asian food stores if you don't want to make your own.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crunchy macaroni and cheeseYesterday 2:07am
- Minestrone soupJun 10, 2021
- 30 ultimate comfort foodsJun 10, 2021
- 18 gorgeous golden syrup dessertsJun 10, 2021
- Lemongrass beef bahn miJun 10, 2021
- Quattro formaggio pizzaJun 10, 2021
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsJun 10, 2021
- Classic chocolate self-saucing puddingJun 10, 2021
- Egg and bacon pieJun 10, 2021
- Classic beef stew with dumplingsJun 10, 2021
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiJun 10, 2021
- Caramel banana steamed puddingJun 10, 2021
- Classic golden syrup dumplingsJun 10, 2021
- Our 21 best burger recipesJun 10, 2021
- Chocolate buttermilk cakeJun 09, 2021