- 1 loaf white sandwich bread
- 100 gram butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- 70 gram pecans, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup plus extra for serving
- 1Remove the crusts from the bread slices and butter generously.
- 2Sprinkle each slice with the combined sugar, cinnamon, dates and pecans, then roll up.
- 3Cut in half and arrange in a 23cm high-sided oven-proof dish to make a spiral pattern.
- 4Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- 5Whisk the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and sugar together, then pour over the bread pudding. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- 6Drizzle the pudding with the maple syrup and bake for 35-40 minutes until puffed up and golden and the centre is just set.
- 7Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with ice cream or cream, drizzling with a little extra syrup.
This is a fun twist on the traditional pudding. I love the fact that each and every little pinwheel is doused in butter, dates, cinnamon and pecans. Leaving the pudding to stand after pouring over the egg custard mix allows it to soak up the flavours and lets the bread swell so it stays moist and cooks evenly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupYesterday 1:00pm
- Fresh tomato pizzettasYesterday 1:00pm
- 30 sweet slice recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeJan 19, 2022