Steak and kidney pie
- 300 gram lamb's kidneys, trimmed, quartered
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 kilogram gravy beef, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain seasoned flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- bouquet garni
Rough puff pastry
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 250 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Steak and kidney pie
- 1In a bowl, combine kidneys and sauce. Heat half oil in a heavy-based saucepan on medium. Saute kidneys, until lightly browned. Set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan. Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess. Cook in two batches, 5-6 minutes, until well browned. Transfer to a plate.
- 3In the same pan, saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes, until tender. Return kidneys and beef to pan with stock, water, wine and bouquet garni. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- 4Make Pastry using method below.
- 5Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Spoon meat and gravy into a 6-cup oven proof dish.
- 6Roll out pastry to 5mm thick. Cut to cover top of dish. Brush with egg. Cut 3-4 slits in top of pie. Place on oven tray. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to moderate, 180°C. Bake for further 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden. Serve with vegies of choice.
- 7Sift flour into a bowl. Add butter. rub in until almost combined. Add water, mix to a streaky dough. Roll out on floured board to 20 x 50cm. Fold into thirds. Give a quarter-turn and roll again. Repeat twice. Cut in halves. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill half for 30 minutes (freeze remainder for later use).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 6:37am
- Spring rollsToday 1:55am
- Mussels in tomato sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Almond caramel barsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 23 best toastie recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- TabboulehYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- 24 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- Beef WellingtonYesterday 12:27am
- 20 delicious desserts with canned pineapplesSep 22, 2021
- 37 fabulous frittatasSep 22, 2021