- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon hot water
- 80 gram white chocolate, grated finely
- 2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar (superfine), extra
- 500 gram rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 5cm (2-inch) lengths
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup piece fresh ginger (12.5g), grated
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (250g) mascarpone
Spiced sponge & rhubarb roulade
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 26cm x 32cm swiss roll pan; line base with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the long sides.
- 2Beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer 5 minutes or until very thick. Pour the hot water down inside of the bowl, add chocolate; gently fold in combined sifted flour and spices until just combined. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, in two batches, until just combined. Spread mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake 12 minutes or until golden and sponge springs back when pressed lightly with a finger.
- 5Meanwhile, place a piece of baking paper, cut just larger than the pan, on a work surface; sprinkle evenly with extra sugar. Turn hot sponge onto sugar-covered-paper, peel away lining paper; trim crisped edges with a sharp knife. Working quickly, and using paper as a guide, roll sponge up from a long side. Cool for 5 minutes. Unroll sponge, remove paper; reroll, cover with a clean tea towel. Cool.
- 6Meanwhile, make roasted rhubarb; combine ingredients in a medium bowl; transfer to a small shallow baking dish. Roast in oven for 10 minutes, stirring halfway, or until rhubarb is tender.
- 7Unroll sponge; spread with mascarpone cream, leaving a 2.5cm (1-inch) border. Top with rhubarb. Reroll sponge to enclose filling. Serve roulade drizzled with rhubarb pan juices.
- 8To make mascarpone cream, beat cream and mascarpone in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
This recipe is best made on day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesToday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesToday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make classic chocolate brownies in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti marinaraYesterday 2:00pm
- Seafood chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020