- 1 x 340g packet butter cake mix
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- yellow food colouring
- 4 x 100g packets smarties (see note below)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line two 8cm x 25cm (3¼-inch x 10-inch) bar cake pans.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet; divide mixture evenly between pans. Bake about 25 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool. Using a serrated knife, level cake tops to the same height.
- 3To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 4Cut one cake into three pieces. Assemble cake pieces on a 23cm x 51cm (9¼-inch x 20½-inch) rectangular cake board, cut-side down, to form number 1; discard remaining cake. Secure cake pieces to board with a little butter cream.
- 5Tint butter cream yellow; spread all over cake. Using the picture as a guide, cover top and sides with Smarties.
This recipe first featured in The Children's Birthday Cake Book published in 1980. Smarties are now deemed to pose a choking risk to small children and instead, you can use sprinkles to decorate this cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm