- 1 kilogram lamb mince
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 4 cup lamb or chicken stock
- 400 gram tin tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cup spinach or kale, finely chopped
- 1.5 kilogram floury potatoes, peeled, halved
- 50 gram butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup milk or cream
- 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, parsley to serve (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 180ºC. Bring the lamb out of the fridge for 20-30 minutes before you fry it.
- 2Heat a large frying pan on a high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and half the lamb mince. Break up quickly with a wooden spoon and leave to brown on the bottom. Stir to brown all over. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining mince.
- 3Drain any fat from pan, reduce the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 4Add onion and carrot, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until soft. Add garlic and anchovies, cooking for another minute.
- 5Add stock, tomatoes, paste, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low, add spinach and simmer for about 45 minutes or until reduced right down to a thick sauce. Season to taste.
- 6While the meat is cooking, simmer potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender (takes about 15-20 minutes).
- 7Drain and replace pot over the heat for a minute or so to evaporate the excess moisture. Mash (or use a potato ricer if you have one), then stir in butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Stir mint through the mince filling, then add to your baking dish and smooth out. Spoon potato mash evenly on top.
- 9Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until crispy and golden brown on top.
- 10Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Roast pork with apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 1:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- MayonnaiseYesterday 1:00pm
- 32 amazing ways with applesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Jerk chickensYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Ice blocks and popsicles to cool you downOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021