- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Topping and filling
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 454 gram ghirardelli dark chocolate
Queen Elizabeth II Birthday Chocolate Cake
- 1At least six hours before baking the cake, prepare the filling: Melt half the chocolate (227g). Bring to boil 1 cup of the cream.
- 2Pour the cream onto the chocolate and whisk it until smooth, then refrigerate until set.
- 3Turn on the oven to 177°C. Line an 8 inch sponge tin with parchment paper and grease.
- 4Set a pan (large enough to hold a mixing bowl) half full of hot water on the stove; bring the water to a boil.
- 5In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, yolks and sugar and whisk together. Place over the bowl of hot water to allow the mixture to heat up.
- 6Sieve the flour and cocoa and set aside.
- 7Whisk the egg mixture until it doubles in volume and then fold in the butter and flour mixture. Spoon the mix into the cake tin; bake about 20 minutes, or until the sponge springs back when pressed.
- 8Remove from the oven onto a cooling wire and make the topping while the sponge cools.
- 9Melt remaining chocolate. Bring to a boil remaining cream. Pour the cream onto the chocolate and whisk it until smooth and then set aside off the heat.
- 10Slice the sponge into three discs and spread the filling onto the bottom two discs and reassemble. Add the remaining chocolate mix to the hot topping and whisk in.
- 11Place the sponge back onto the cooling wire and ladle the topping over the sponge allowing it to run down the sides. Cool the cake for at least two hours before decorating and serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- 28 easy ways with bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Ham and cheese croquettesYesterday 2:00pm
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower parmigianaYesterday 2:00pm
- Mulled wineYesterday 7:25am
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladYesterday 6:49am
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaYesterday 12:00am
- Chocolate almond macaronsMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022
- BaklavaMay 25, 2022
- Apple, cherry and amaretti crumblesMay 25, 2022
- 33 amazing almond dessertsMay 25, 2022
- 32 sensational meals featuring silverbeetMay 25, 2022