- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Topping and filling
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 454 gram ghirardelli dark chocolate
Queen Elizabeth II Birthday Chocolate Cake
- 1At least six hours before baking the cake, prepare the filling: Melt half the chocolate (227g). Bring to boil 1 cup of the cream.
- 2Pour the cream onto the chocolate and whisk it until smooth, then refrigerate until set.
- 3Turn on the oven to 177°C. Line an 8 inch sponge tin with parchment paper and grease.
- 4Set a pan (large enough to hold a mixing bowl) half full of hot water on the stove; bring the water to a boil.
- 5In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, yolks and sugar and whisk together. Place over the bowl of hot water to allow the mixture to heat up.
- 6Sieve the flour and cocoa and set aside.
- 7Whisk the egg mixture until it doubles in volume and then fold in the butter and flour mixture. Spoon the mix into the cake tin; bake about 20 minutes, or until the sponge springs back when pressed.
- 8Remove from the oven onto a cooling wire and make the topping while the sponge cools.
- 9Melt remaining chocolate. Bring to a boil remaining cream. Pour the cream onto the chocolate and whisk it until smooth and then set aside off the heat.
- 10Slice the sponge into three discs and spread the filling onto the bottom two discs and reassemble. Add the remaining chocolate mix to the hot topping and whisk in.
- 11Place the sponge back onto the cooling wire and ladle the topping over the sponge allowing it to run down the sides. Cool the cake for at least two hours before decorating and serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019