- 500 grams (1lb) potatoes
- 250 grams (8oz) orange sweet potatoes
- 400 grams frozen shelled edamame (soybeans)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) tahini
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) lager beer
- malt vinegar and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Peel potatoes and sweet potatoes; cut into 1cm (½in) thick slices. Cook potatoes together in a saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well; pat dry with paper towel. Cool.
- 2Meanwhile, cook edamame in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain well. Place edamame in a food processor with mint, garlic, tahini, water and lemon juice; process until well combined. Season to taste.
- 3Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat to 180°C/350°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds).
- 4Whisk flour and beer in a medium bowl until smooth; season.
- 5Dip potato slices in batter, allowing excess to drain off. Deep-fry, in two batches, for 5 minutes or until potato are tender, golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- 6Serve hot potato scallops with minty edamame, malt vinegar and lemon wedges.
Try to use potatoes and sweet potatoes that are the same diameter as one another. Keep the first batch of scallops warm on an oven tray in a 180°C/350°F oven while you cook the second batch.If you would like the consistency of the minty edamame to be a little runnier, just add more water when processing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021