- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (300g) brown onions, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 centimetre (20g) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 kilogram ripe egg tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
- 1 fresh long red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large saucepan and stir onion over heat until softened. Add garlic, ginger and chilli, if using. Continue stirring until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and sauce thickens. Cool 15 minutes.
- 2In batches, blend or process mixture, until smooth. Strain sauce through fine sieve into a large heatproof bowl, discard solids. Return sauce to pan; bring to the boil, stirring.
- 3Pour hot sauce into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.