- 185 gram (6 ounces) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) fine semolina
- 1/4 cup (60ml) buttermilk
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) trimmed rhubarb stalks
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped rhubarb (110g)
- 1Have butter and eggs at room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Beat butter, rind and caster sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Fold in sifted flour, semolina and buttermilk.
- 4Cut rhubarb, diagonally, into 3cm (1¼-inch) lengths.
- 5Spread mixture into pan, top with rhubarb; sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake cake about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack.
- 6Meanwhile, make orange rhubarb syrup. Stir ingredients in small saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until syrup has thickened slightly. Strain into heatproof jug.
- 7Invert cake onto serving plate. Pour half the orange rhubarb syrup over cake. Serve cake with remaining syrup, and whipped cream, if you like.
You will need a bunch of rhubarb with about 8 thin stalks. Use the red parts of the stalks for the best flavour. You need 2 large oranges for this recipe. Cake will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for 1 week, or in the freezer for 1 month.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesToday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesToday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make classic chocolate brownies in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti marinaraYesterday 2:00pm
- Seafood chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020