- 2 x 340g packets butter cake mix
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- blue food colouring
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 200 gram white store-bought icing
- 43 nestlé smarties
- 1 small teddy bear or toy
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 34cm x 23cm number one cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets. Pour mixture into pan; bake about 45 minutes. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 3To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 4Using a serrated knife, level cake top. Secure cake to 23cm x 51cm covered cake board with a little butter cream. Tint remaining butter cream blue; spread all over cake.
- 5On a surface lightly dusted with sifted icing sugar, knead icing until smooth. Roll half of the icing until 3mm thick. Cut an 11cm square for the bed sheet from the icing; cover sheet with plastic wrap. Shape a little of the icing trimmings into a pillow shape; enclose the remaining trimmings in plastic wrap.
- 6Knead a little blue colouring into the remaining icing; roll until 3mm thick. Cut a 10cm square for the quilt; enclose blue trimmings in plastic wrap.
- 7Using the heart cutter (or a sharp-pointed knife), cut shapes from quilt. Position sheet on cake, top with quilt; turn down edge, as pictured. Place two heart cut-outs on pillow. Position pillow on cake.
- 8Decorate cake with Nestlé Smarties. Position bear or toy near cake.
White icing is also known as fondant (it’s the traditional icing used on wedding cakes). It is available in packets from the supermarket and cake decorating shops Tiny heart cutters are sometimes sold as `aspic cutters'. We've scattered Allen's Sour Rush Jelly Beans, Allen's Milk Bottle Mania and Nestlé Melts White Cooking Compound around the cake board as decoration.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021