Marble cake is a classic childhood cooking memory. We like to make the colours strong for maximum impact, as they may fade during baking. We've created this one in a bundt pan for easy elegance.
Looking for more bundt cake recipes?
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup (335g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- pink food colouring
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon milk, extra
- 2 cup (320g) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 24cm (9½in) bundt cake pan well; dust with a little extra flour, shake out excess.
- 2Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined after each addition. Stir in sifted flour and milk, in two batches, until mixture is smooth.
- 3Divide mixture into three bowls; tint one mixture pink. Blend sifted cocoa with extra milk in a cup; stir into second bowl of mixture. Leave remaining mixture plain. Drop alternate spoonfuls of mixtures into pan. Pull a skewer backwards and forwards through cake mixture to create a marble effect.
- 4Bake cake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack over an oven tray to cool.
- 5Make icing. Pour icing over cold cake.
- 6Sift icing sugar into a medium bowl; stir in enough of the milk until it is a drizzly consistency (icing is on the runnier side so it gives the cake a light coating).
Make the colours fairly strong for maximum impact, as they may fade during baking. Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Uniced, the cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021