- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) custard powder
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 gram softened unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 300 millilitre thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2/3 cup (220g) strawberry jam
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan; line base with baking paper. In an electric mixer bowl, place flour, custard powder, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla essence and milk; mix on slow speed until ingredients are combined, then beat on a medium speed for 4 minutes.
- 2Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn onto a wire rack, topside-up, to cool.
- 3Beat cream and icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Split cake in half. Join cake with cream mixture and strawberry jam. Dust the top with extra sifted icing sugar, if desired.
Unfilled cake suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. Variations: BANANA: Replace custard powder with 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour and add 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed. CHOCOLATE: Replace custard powder with 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour and add 1/4 cup cocoa powder. ORANGE: Replace custard powder with 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour and replace milk with orange juice.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020