- 250 gram cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 440 gram can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 3/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1/2 quantity cream cheese icing
- banana chips and flaked coconut, to decorate
- 1Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl until light and creamy.
- 2Add half the sugar, juice and zest; beat until combined. Add remaining sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease and line the base and sides of a 21x10cm (base measurement) loaf pan with baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
- 4Combine flour, sugar, coconut, walnuts and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl. Make a well at centre.
- 5Combine pineapple, banana, egg and oil in a jug. Add pineapple mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine.
- 6Spoon into prepared pan; level surface. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer cake to serving plate.
- 7Make Cream Cheese icing as recipe directs. Spread icing over top of cooled cake. Decorate with banana chips and flaked coconut. Cut into slices. Serve.
Reserve juice from pineapple to add to cream cheese icing. No self-raising flour? Mix 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder with 1 3/4 cup plain flour. No loaf pan? Bake cake in a 20cm round cake pan. Cooking time will vary. Cream Cheese Icing: Makes 1 1/2 cups
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021