Gluten-free carrot cake
- 2½ cups (335g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- ½ cup (60g) almond meal
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh nutmeg, plus extra to dust
- 1¹⁄³ cups (295g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 cups (450g) coarsely grated carrot
- 1 cup (120g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) extra virgin olive oil
Cream cheese frosting
- 200 grams cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 3 cups (480g) gluten-free icing sugar
Gluten-free carrot cake with orange frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Sift flour, almond meal, bicarb, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl; stir in sugar, carrot and walnuts. Add combined eggs and oil; stir until smooth. Pour mixture into pan; smooth the surface.
- 3Bake cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Make frosting; Beat cream cheese and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar until smooth. Spread on top of cooled cake. Dust cake with extra nutmeg.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. You will need about two medium carrots for this recipe, which can be made a day ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021