- 3 470g packets butter cake mix
- 1 cup (320g) apricot jam, warmed, strained
- 1.5 kilogram ready-made white icing (page 329)
- pure icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 black licorice strap
- 2 bamboo skewers
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease and flour a dolly varden pan, a deep 20cm round cake pan and one hole of a 6-hole (¾ cup/180ml) texas muffin pan.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets. Pour enough of the mixture into dolly varden pan until 4cm from top of pan. Pour enough mixture into round pan until three-quarters full. Pour ½ cup (125ml) mixture into muffin pan hole.
- 3Bake dolly varden cake about 1 hour 45 minutes; round cake about 1 hour 15 minutes, and muffin about 30 minutes. Turn dolly varden cake out onto wire rack to cool. Turn remaining cakes, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 4Level large base of dolly varden cake to sit flat. Level tops of muffin and round cake to sit flat. Secure round cake, cut-side up, on 30cm round cake board with a little jam. Brush cut surface of cake with a little jam. Position dolly varden cake, cut-side down, on top of round cake. Brush whole cake with warmed jam.
- 5To make ghost's arms, cut muffin in half, from top to bottom. Attach half a muffin, cut-side down, to each side of cake, secure with skewers, cut so they don't poke out of the cake. Brush arms with more jam.
- 6On a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, knead ready-made icing until icing loses its stickiness. Roll icing on dusted surface into a circle large enough to cover cake.
- 7Using a rolling pin, carefully lift icing over cake, allowing it to drape over head and arms of ghost. Gently pull icing into shape around base of cake. Scrunch up some plastic wrap and place it under the icing to make flounces. When the icing dries, it will look like the ghost is floating. Remove plastic wrap after icing has become firm.
- 8Using scissors, cut licorice into rounds for eyes and oval shape for mouth and secure to icing with a dab of jam. Roll tiny balls of leftover icing for eyes, secure to licorice with jam.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022