- 2 sheets ready rolled sweet short pastry
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon and lime juice
- 2 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 20 gram butter
- 3/4 cup sugar for meringue
- 1/2 cup mixed desiccated/flaked or thread coconut plus extra for the top
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 23cm fluted loose-bottom pie tin with the pastry sheets and trim the edges to fit neatly. Chill until ready to bake.
- 2Place a sheet of baking paper inside the pastry-lined tin and fill with baking beans or rice. Blind bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes or until pale golden, then remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes until dry and golden. Let cool while making filling.
- 3In a medium saucepan, heat the water, sugar, citrus zest and juice until the sugar has dissolved. Mix the cornflour and water until smooth, then stir into the citrus mixture. Simmer, stirring for 2-3 minutes, until thick. Remove from the heat and let cool for 2 minutes before whisking in the egg yolks and butter. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- 4Place egg whites in a clean electric mixing bowl and beat until foamy, then gradually add the sugar, a little at a time, beating constantly until thick, white and glossy. Fold in the coconut. Pour the filling into the cooked pastry shell and smooth, then pile the coconut meringue over the filling starting from the outside edges and working in.
- 5Sprinkle with extra coconut and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180°C or until puffed and the meringue is toasted and golden.
- 6Cool before cutting.
I’ve used quick and easy ready-rolled pastry but you can use homemade if you have the time. Let the pie settle for at least 10 minutes or longer so it’s easier to cut. Make sure your pie filling is thick and cooled before assembling in the pastry shell.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeYesterday 6:02am
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Leek and mushroom lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Lasagne recipe collectionJun 26, 2022
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelJun 26, 2022