Traditionally made with pork mince, this beef version of san choy bau is a great alternative. This tasty Asian staple can also be made with chicken or duck mince.
Beef san choy bau
- 20 gram dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 3 green onions (shallots), sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 600 gram beef mince
- 1/3 cup tinned water chestnut slices, chopped roughly
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- steamed rice, to serve
Beef san choy bau
- 1Soak mushrooms in boiling water for 15 minutes or until rehydrated. Strain and keep water aside.
- 2Combine soy, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil and wine in small bowl.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Fry mushroom, garlic, ginger, chili and green onion for 5 minutes. Add mince and brown for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking up with wooden spoon. Add chestnuts, mixed sauces and half of the mushroom water. Cook for 4 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- 4Place a little steamed rice in each lettuce leaf and top with san choy bau mix. Sprinkle with extra green onion and serve immediately with remaining steamed rice.
To make separating the iceburg lettuce leaves easier cut , the bottom off the lettuce and soak in , cold water for 10 mins.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Potato Salad RecipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheAug 05, 2020
- Classic sconesAug 05, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020