Traditionally made with pork mince, this beef version of san choy bau is a great alternative. This tasty Asian staple can also be made with chicken or duck mince.
Beef san choy bau
- 20 gram dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 3 green onions (shallots), sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 600 gram beef mince
- 1/3 cup tinned water chestnut slices, chopped roughly
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- steamed rice, to serve
Beef san choy bau
- 1Soak mushrooms in boiling water for 15 minutes or until rehydrated. Strain and keep water aside.
- 2Combine soy, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil and wine in small bowl.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Fry mushroom, garlic, ginger, chili and green onion for 5 minutes. Add mince and brown for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking up with wooden spoon. Add chestnuts, mixed sauces and half of the mushroom water. Cook for 4 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- 4Place a little steamed rice in each lettuce leaf and top with san choy bau mix. Sprinkle with extra green onion and serve immediately with remaining steamed rice.
To make separating the iceburg lettuce leaves easier cut , the bottom off the lettuce and soak in , cold water for 10 mins.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021