Traditionally made with pork mince, this beef version of san choy bau is a great alternative. This tasty Asian staple can also be made with chicken or duck mince.
Beef san choy bau
- 20 gram dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 3 green onions (shallots), sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 600 gram beef mince
- 1/3 cup tinned water chestnut slices, chopped roughly
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- steamed rice, to serve
Beef san choy bau
- 1Soak mushrooms in boiling water for 15 minutes or until rehydrated. Strain and keep water aside.
- 2Combine soy, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil and wine in small bowl.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Fry mushroom, garlic, ginger, chili and green onion for 5 minutes. Add mince and brown for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking up with wooden spoon. Add chestnuts, mixed sauces and half of the mushroom water. Cook for 4 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- 4Place a little steamed rice in each lettuce leaf and top with san choy bau mix. Sprinkle with extra green onion and serve immediately with remaining steamed rice.
To make separating the iceburg lettuce leaves easier cut , the bottom off the lettuce and soak in , cold water for 10 mins.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022