- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (200g), chopped finely
- 250 gram (8oz) packaged microwave short-grain brown rice
- 400 gram (12½oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300 grams (9½oz) silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 English muffins (130g), split
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- 2 slices vegan cheddar (36g)
- tomato sauce (ketchup), to serve
- 1Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over high heat; cook onion, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a food processor with rice, beans, paprika, onion and garlic powders, barbecue sauce and flour; season. Pulse until mixture comes together.
- 2Line a tray with plastic wrap. With damp hands, shape ⅓-cup amounts of mixture into six 8cm (3¼in) patties. Place on tray; freeze for 20 minutes or until firm (see tips).
- 3u in half horizontally to make two 1.5cm (¾in) thick slices. (Take care with cutting the tofu as it is fragile.) Using an 8cm (3¼in) cutter, carefully cut one round from each tofu slice, reserve offcuts (see vegan hacks). Combine vegan mayonnaise and turmeric in a small bowl.
- 4Preheat grill (broiler) on high. Place muffin halves, cut-side up, on an oven tray; place under grill until lightly toasted.
- 5Heat half the extra oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly dust patties with extra flour. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Top toasted muffin bases with patties and a slice of cheese; place under grill for 30 seconds or until melted.
- 6Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook tofu rounds for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Place on cheese-topped pattie.
- 7Place a tablespoon of turmeric mayonnaise in the centre of each tofu round to resemble an egg yolk. Add tomato sauce to taste and top with muffin lid.
This recipe makes 6 patties but you'll only need 2 to make this recipe; freeze the remaining 4 patties in an airtight container between sheets of baking paper for up to 2 months. To use, cook from frozen.Tofu off cuts can be added to a fruit smoothie for an added protein hit.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021