- 1 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- yellow food colouring, few drops
Sultana madeira cake
- 185 gram softened butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, finely grated zest
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sifted self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sultanas
Sultana madeira cake
- 1Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Lightly grease and line the base and sides of a 10cm x 20cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- 2In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and zest together until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Using a wooden spoon, lightly fold in flour, almond meal and lemon juice until combined. Fold sultanas through.
- 4Spoon into pan and smooth surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked when tested (see Notes). Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 5ICING: In a small bowl, combine icing sugar, juice and a few drops of colouring to a runny paste. Pour over cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. Set aside 1 hour to set. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
This cake freezes well whole or wrapped in individual slices. Cakes are cooked when skewer inserted into the centre comes out dean and dry. The cake will also begin to pull away from the side of the pan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best homemade sausage rollsToday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesToday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingToday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsToday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataYesterday 11:00pm
- Spinach dip cob loafYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Chana dhal with chutney yoghurtYesterday 10:26pm
- How to cook lamb backstrapYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemonade sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic steamed Christmas puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- FlorentinesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lobster mornayYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsYesterday 1:00pm