Roast chicken pie
- 40 gram butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 100 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 packet of roast chicken gravy mix
- 1 1/2 cup water, plus ½ cup water for the stuffing mix
- 2 cup shredded chicken meat
- 2 cup roasted vegetables (kumara, potato, pumpkin), cooked and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 stuffing mix (available in packets at the supermarket)
- spray oil
- fresh herbs and salad greens, to serve
- 1Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery and garlic, then saute for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- 2Whisk together the flour, gravy mix and water, stirring into the saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- 3Stir in the chicken, roasted vegetables and peas, then stir well until coated with the gravy sauce. Allow to cool.
- 4Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a 23cm round pie tin with the pastry sheets, leaving some overhanging. Spoon in the pie filling and flatten slightly, then fold the pastry over to semi enclose the filling.
- 5Mix the stuffing mix with the water and crumble it over the centre to cover any remaining filling. Spray lightly with oil and bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is browned.
- 6Serve the pie sprinkled with fresh chopped herbs and dish up with a green salad.
This is a Sunday favourite in our house, usually involving the leftovers from a Friday or Saturday night roast. You can also freeze the stripped meat and vegetables from your roast to make the pie at a later date.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy loaf cake recipes for morning teaYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best Asian-inspired vegetarian recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- RatatouilleYesterday 6:11am
- Healthy lunch ideas you'll actually be excited to eatYesterday 5:43am
- Easy cheesecake slicesAug 11, 2020
- Sugar-free recipesAug 11, 2020
- 20 traditional Australian recipesAug 11, 2020
- Dark and dreamy chocolate cakeAug 11, 2020
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020