- 1.5 kilogram large mussels
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 trimmed (100g) stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 small (100g) leek, diced
- 2 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium (150g) ripe tomato, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- pinch saffron threads
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 50 gram butter
- micro cress or fresh herbs, to garnish
- lemon wedges and bread, to serve
- 1Scrub the mussels under running cold water and remove the beards; discard mussels that are cracked.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook celery, leek, garlic, tomato and thyme, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add saffron and wine; cook for a further 5 minutes or until wine has almost evaporated.
- 3Increase heat to high; add cleaned mussels to pan. Cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Remove opened mussels to a warm plate and repeat until all mussels have opened.
- 4Remove the top shell of each mussel. Divide mussels between six warmed bowls. Spoon over the cooking liquid.
- 5Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to froth and brown. Spoon the butter over the mussels.
- 6Garnish with micro cress and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastYesterday 1:00pm
- Peanut butter cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken curry recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Honey joysYesterday 1:00pm
- Windsor shortbreadYesterday 5:10am
- Coconut riceYesterday 4:54am
- Best burger recipesYesterday 4:33am
- Lemon curd cakeYesterday 3:01am
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019
- Pho boOct 15, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootOct 13, 2019
- Beef stroganoffOct 13, 2019