Pork and veal meatballs with fresh tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 315 gram minced pork
- 315 gram minced veal
- 1 cup (70 grams) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon roasted pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 egg
- 500 gram spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1In a small frying pan, heat 2 tsp of the oil; add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft. Cool.
- 2In a large bowl, combine onion mixture with minces, breadcrumbs, rind, nuts, cheese, herbs, paprika and egg; season. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls; place on tray, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Make tomato sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan; cook garlic, stirring, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and oregano to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Season to taste.
- 4Heat remaining oil in large frying pan; cook meatballs, until browned all over. Add meatballs to tomato sauce; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- 5Meanwhile, in large saucepan of boiling water, cook spaghetti until tender; drain.
- 6Serve spaghetti topped with meatballs, tomato sauce and some extra parmesan cheese.
Some butchers sell a pork and veal mixture, this is fine to use here; buy 625 grams.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021