- 6 medium_piece (1.4kg) firm pears
- 80 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 375 gram block frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1Peel, quarter and core pears.
- 2Melt butter in a 19cm (7¾-inch) heavy-based ovenproof frying pan, large enough to hold almost all of the pears in a single layer. Add pears, sprinkle with sugar and juice. Simmer, uncovered, over a very low heat, 1 hour 20 minutes, turning as pears caramelise.
- 3Pears should be soft and well caramelised (if the heat is too high, use a simmer mat or occasionally cover the pan if necessary to prevent excess evaporation or burning). As pears become softer, gently push them into a single layer, remove from heat.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 5Roll pastry out on a floured surface until slightly larger than the frying pan, cut pastry into a 27cm (10¾-inch) round, using a bowl or plate as a guide. Place pastry over pears. Tuck edge of the pastry around pears.
- 6Bake tart 15 minutes or until well browned. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a platter with a lip to collect juices.
We used beurre bosc pears for this recipe as they hold their shape well when baked. You need a frying pan with a heatproof handle. If the handle of your pan is not heatproof, wrap it in two layers of foil. The 19cm (7¾-inch) pan we used has a top measurement of 26cm (10½ inches).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Arancini with prosciutto and peasYesterday 4:00pm
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpJan 17, 2019
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019