- 6 medium_piece (1.4kg) firm pears
- 80 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 375 gram block frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1Peel, quarter and core pears.
- 2Melt butter in a 19cm (7¾-inch) heavy-based ovenproof frying pan, large enough to hold almost all of the pears in a single layer. Add pears, sprinkle with sugar and juice. Simmer, uncovered, over a very low heat, 1 hour 20 minutes, turning as pears caramelise.
- 3Pears should be soft and well caramelised (if the heat is too high, use a simmer mat or occasionally cover the pan if necessary to prevent excess evaporation or burning). As pears become softer, gently push them into a single layer, remove from heat.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 5Roll pastry out on a floured surface until slightly larger than the frying pan, cut pastry into a 27cm (10¾-inch) round, using a bowl or plate as a guide. Place pastry over pears. Tuck edge of the pastry around pears.
- 6Bake tart 15 minutes or until well browned. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a platter with a lip to collect juices.
We used beurre bosc pears for this recipe as they hold their shape well when baked. You need a frying pan with a heatproof handle. If the handle of your pan is not heatproof, wrap it in two layers of foil. The 19cm (7¾-inch) pan we used has a top measurement of 26cm (10½ inches).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021