- 6 large apples (1.2kg)
- 100 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 80 gram cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1Peel, core and quarter apples. Melt butter in large heavy-based frying pan; add apple, sprinkle evenly with sugar and juice. Cook, uncovered, over low heat, 1 hour, turning apple as it caramelises.
- 2Place apple, rounded-side down, in 23cm (9¼-inch) pie dish; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the caramel in pan. Reserve remaining caramel. Pack apples tightly to avoid any gaps. Cover; refrigerate while preparing pastry.
- 3Make pastry: Process flour, sugar, butter and sour cream until ingredients just come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 5Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover apple. Peel away one sheet of baking paper; invert pastry over apple. Remove remaining paper; tuck pastry around apple.
- 6Bake tarte tartin about 30 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn onto serving plate.
- 7Reheat reserved caramel over low heat; drizzle over apples.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021