- 6 large apples (1.2kg)
- 100 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 80 gram cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1Peel, core and quarter apples. Melt butter in large heavy-based frying pan; add apple, sprinkle evenly with sugar and juice. Cook, uncovered, over low heat, 1 hour, turning apple as it caramelises.
- 2Place apple, rounded-side down, in 23cm (9¼-inch) pie dish; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the caramel in pan. Reserve remaining caramel. Pack apples tightly to avoid any gaps. Cover; refrigerate while preparing pastry.
- 3Make pastry: Process flour, sugar, butter and sour cream until ingredients just come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 5Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover apple. Peel away one sheet of baking paper; invert pastry over apple. Remove remaining paper; tuck pastry around apple.
- 6Bake tarte tartin about 30 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn onto serving plate.
- 7Reheat reserved caramel over low heat; drizzle over apples.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019