- 6 large apples (1.2kg)
- 100 gram unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 80 gram cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1Peel, core and quarter apples. Melt butter in large heavy-based frying pan; add apple, sprinkle evenly with sugar and juice. Cook, uncovered, over low heat, 1 hour, turning apple as it caramelises.
- 2Place apple, rounded-side down, in 23cm (9¼-inch) pie dish; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the caramel in pan. Reserve remaining caramel. Pack apples tightly to avoid any gaps. Cover; refrigerate while preparing pastry.
- 3Make pastry: Process flour, sugar, butter and sour cream until ingredients just come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 5Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover apple. Peel away one sheet of baking paper; invert pastry over apple. Remove remaining paper; tuck pastry around apple.
- 6Bake tarte tartin about 30 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn onto serving plate.
- 7Reheat reserved caramel over low heat; drizzle over apples.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019