The classic English soup is also a great way to use up leftover Christmas ham.
- 40 grams (1½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 3 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 large potato (200g), chopped
- 1.5 (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 6 cups (720g) frozen peas
- 2/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoom olive oil
- 300 grams (9½ ounces) sliced leg ham
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- Snow pea sprouts, to serve
- 1Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook green onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- 2Add potato, stock and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender. Add 5 cups (600g) of the peas; cook for a further 2 minutes or until peas are just tender. Remove pan from heat.
- 3Add mint; blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add remaining peas; stir over medium-low heat until hot. Season to taste. Reduce heat to low; cover, to keep warm.
- 4Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook ham for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown and crisp.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls; drizzle with cream. Top with torn ham and pea sprouts.
If using a blender or food processor to blend soup, stand it for 10 minutes to cool slightly before blending. The heat build-up can cause the lid to blow off. This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021