- 3 x 340g packets buttercake mix
- 250 gram butter
- 3 cup (480g) icing sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- orange and yellow colouring
- 2 orange smarties
- black glossy decorating gel
- 1 red jube, cut in half horizontally
- 1 black licorice strap
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C; grease and line 14cm x 21cm loaf pan and two 19cm x 29cm rectangular slice pans.
- 2Make cakes separately according to directions on packets; place one quantity of mixture into each of the prepared pans. Bake loaf cake about 50 minutes and slice pans 25 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn onto wire racks to cool.
- 3Using serrated knife, level cake tops. Cut off one-third of cake from one short end of loaf cake. Cut this piece in half horizontally, trim piece into 4cm x 8cm rectangle, then cut point for nose.
- 4Place slice pan cakes side by side, cut-side down; trim tops, if necessary, so cakes are the same height. Cut out the shape of lion's head.
- 5Place lion's head on 35cm x 45cm prepared rectangular board, cut-side down, top with large oblong from loaf cake, position nose piece on top.
- 6To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 7Tint ½ cup of the butter cream orange, tint remaining butter cream yellow. Spread yellow butter cream evenly over nose and face and around sides of cake.
- 8Spread remaining yellow butter cream thickly for mane. Dot orange butter cream on mane. Using a fork, swirl orange butter cream into yellow butter cream.
- 9Position marshmallows and Smarties for eyes. Dot with a little black gel for pupils. Position red jube for tongue.
- 10Cut licorice strap into thin strips, position on face for mouth and whiskers. Dot a little black gel near whiskers. Use black decorating gel to draw triangle for nose.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spaghetti bologneseYesterday 1:00pm
- Indian rice saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chunky fig and vanilla jamYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy food bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- CevicheYesterday 1:00pm
- Grilled mushrooms with soft-boiled dukkah eggs and crisp kaleYesterday 1:00pm
- Pancake recipesJan 22, 2021