- 200 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup (250g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (85g) instant polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
- thick cream, for serving
- 2 medium (280g) lemons
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1To make lemon compote, preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Thinly slice the 2 whole lemons and cut the slices into quarters; remove the seeds. Layer the quarters in a medium ceramic ovenproof dish. Combine the sugar, rosemary and water in a small saucepan; stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; pour the syrup over the lemon quarters. Cover lemon mixture with baking paper then seal the dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and paper; bake for a further 30 minutes or until the syrup is thick and the lemons are caramelised. Cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a 20cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Beat the butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Stir in the almond meal, polenta and baking powder; then stir in the rind, juice and orange blossom water.
- 4Spread the mixture into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake tor about 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool cake in the pan.
- 5Serve cake with lemon compote and thick cream, if desired.
Cake suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. Orange blossom water, also known as orange flower water, is a concentrated flavouring made from orange blossoms. It is available from Middle Eastern food stores, delicatessens and some supermarkets.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate fig panforteToday 1:18am
- Coconut sago puddingsToday 12:50am
- White christmas rocky roadToday 12:28am
- Coriander, lemon and chilli hummusToday 12:20am
- Thai green chicken curryYesterday 1:04am
- Coconut jam dropsNov 17, 2019
- Raspberry gelatoNov 17, 2019
- Rosé sangriaNov 17, 2019
- Bordelaise sauceNov 17, 2019
- Corned beef with mustard sauceNov 17, 2019
- The perfect potato chipNov 17, 2019
- Perfect potato saladNov 15, 2019
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsNov 14, 2019
- Banoffee pieNov 14, 2019
- Classic Christmas trifleNov 14, 2019
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingNov 14, 2019