- 1 titanium-strength gelatine leaf (5g)
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 (125ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 5 centimetre strip lemon rind
- 250 gram blueberries
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 500 gram mascarpone cheese
- 50 gram tore-bought meringues, crushed coarsely
- 1First, make the lemon curd: Soften gelatine in a bowl of cold water 3 minutes; squeeze out excess water. Combine eggs, egg yolks, rind, juice and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl.
- 2Place bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (don't let the base of the bowl touch the water). Stir mixture 10 minutes or until it thickens and thickly coats the back of a spoon. Whisk in butter, a piece at a time, until smooth between additions. Stir in gelatine until dissolved. Cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- 3To make vanilla blueberries, split vanilla bean lengthways; scrape seeds into a small saucepan, then add bean. Add sugar, the water and rind; stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in blueberries. Cool.
- 4To make the crêpes, place flour in a medium bowl; make a well in the centre. Gradually whisk combined eggs, oil and milk into flour until smooth. Strain mixture into a large jug; stir in poppy seeds. Stand for 30 minutes.
- 5Stir batter. Heat an oiled 20cm (8-inch) based frying pan; pour 1/4 cup of the batter into pan, tilting the pan to coat base. Cook over low heat, loosening around edge with a spatula until browned lightly. Turn crêpe; brown other side. Repeat with remaining batter to make 15 crêpes; you need 14 for the stack.
- 6To assemble the cake: place 1 crêpe on a rimmed plate; spread with 1/3 cup lemon curd. Top with another crêpe; spread with 1/3 cup mascarpone. Repeat layering with 12 more crêpes, remaining lemon curd and mascarpone, finishing with a crêpe. As you layer use pieces of meringue to prop up the edges of the crêpe.
- 7Serve crêpe cake topped with vanilla blueberries. Dust with icing (confectioners’) sugar, if you like.
This batter makes 15 crêpes however the first crêpe seasons the pan and never looks that good. Stack the 14 best crêpes. You could use passionfruit pulp in place of the lemon juice while making the curd if you like. Crêpes and lemon curd can be made a day ahead. Stack crêpes, layered with pieces of baking paper; place curd in an airtight container. Refrigerate both until ready to assemble.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019