- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 gram diced lamb
- 4 (100g) baby onions, quartered
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dry red wine
- 3/4 cup (180ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 20 gram butter
- 2 (sheets) ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1Heat half of the oil in large saucepan, cook lamb in batches, uncovered, until browned all over. Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add flour, cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually add wine, stock, paste and rosemary leaves, stir until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in lamb, cool 10 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease four holes of 6-hole (¾-cup/180ml) texas muffin pan with butter.
- 3Cut two 13cm rounds from opposite corners of each pastry sheet, cut two 9cm rounds from remaining corners of each sheet. Place larger rounds in pan holes to cover bases and sides, trim any excess pastry, prick bases with fork.
- 4Spoon lamb mixture into pastry cases, brush around edges with a little egg. Top pies with smaller rounds, gently press around edges to seal. Brush pies with remaining egg, press one rosemary sprig into top of each pie.
- 5Bake pies, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until browned lightly. Stand 5 minutes in pan before serving. Serve with peas, if desired.
Diced lamb can be bought from supermarkets and butchers. If you prefer to dice the lamb yourself, shoulder meat is very good. Ask the butcher to bone the shoulder for you, and discard as much fat as possible.Serve pies topped with mashed potato, gravy and freshly ground black pepper, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022