- 600 millilitre carton pure cream
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) milk
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 (720g) Baker's Delight fruit hot cross buns
- 50 grams butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- raspberries and extra cream, to serve
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk the cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla together until combined.
- 2Cut the hot cross buns into 3 slices horizontally, making a bottom, middle and top.
- 3Using a little of the softened butter, grease the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm (10-cup capacity) ovenproof dish.
- 4Combine the remaining butter with the cinnamon sugar in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over base and middle slices of hot cross bun (leaving tops un-buttered). Arrange buttered bases over the base of the dish. Pour over a third of the egg mixture. Stand for 5 minutes. Repeat the process, standing between layers, finishing with the tops of the hot cross buns and remaining egg mixture.
- 5Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan. Bake the pudding for 50 minutes or until browned lightly, covering edges with foil during cooking if over-browning.
- 6Stand pudding for 15 minutes before serving (see notes). Serve the pudding warm topped with raspberries and extra cream and dusted with icing sugar.
The pudding is a fun way to use up leftover hot cross buns.Turn this into a luxe choc pudding by using choc chip hot cross buns and adding some chopped white and dark chocolate to the dish.Standing the pudding after cooking allows the custard to continue cooking through from the residual heat without over-cooking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022