- 2 x 470g packets butter cake mix
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1 black licorice strap
- 1 ice-cream wafer
- 2 pink musk sticks
- thin black elastic
- 1 thick licorice twist
- 6 round yellow lollipops
- 5 centimetre x 1m wide ribbon
- 125 butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup icing (confectioner's) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets. Pour mixture into pans, so that all mixtures are the same level; bake bar cake about 30 minutes and square cakes about 40 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Assemble the three cakes, as pictured, placing bar cake in center at end of smaller square cake. Make two slits in top of each side of smaller square cake, to halfway through cake; cut off these four small pieces (you will need only two cut-out pieces for the guitar). Place a cut-out piece on either side of larger square cake 4cm up from bottom.
- 4Position cake pieces, cut-side down, on cake board to form guitar; secure with a little butter cream. Discard any leftover cake pieces.
- 5To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 6Combine 1/2 cup of butter cream with 1/4 cup of the sifted cocoa in small bowl; using picture as a guide, spread all over neck and sound hole. Combine remaining butter cream with remaining 1 tablespoon of sifted cocoa in medium bowl; spread over remaining cake.
- 7Outline sound hole with a thin strip of licorice strap, as pictured. Position thin strips licorice strap across neck of guitar.
- 8Cut wafer in half lengthways, cut away two corners of each half; press wafer halves firmly into position, one to form bridge, the other at base of neck, as pictured.
- 9Cut each Musk Stick into three pieces; secure a piece of elastic on each piece Musk Stick for strings. Press Musk Sticks well into top of neck, as pictured. Press a piece of licorice twist firmly over elastic ends at base of guitar to hold the strings steady.
- 10Position lollipops at top of neck to make tuning knobs; slip ends of ribbon under cake to make strap.
Equipment you will need to make the cake guitar; 8cm x 25cm bar cake pan, deep 20cm square cake pan, deep 22cm square cake pan and a 40cm x 80cm rectangular cake board.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm