- 1/2 cup (180g) honey
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cup (560ml) water
- 7 kilogram cooked (leg) ham
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 2Combine honey, syrup, sugar and ¼ cup of the water in small saucepan, bring to the boil. Stir over heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil, remove from heat, cool 10 minutes.
- 3Cut through rind of ham 10cm from the shank end of the leg. To remove rind, run thumb around edge of rind just under skin. Start pulling rind from widest edge of ham, continue to pull rind carefully away from the fat up to the shank end. Remove rind completely.
- 4Score across the fat at about 3cm intervals, cutting through the surface of the fat (not the meat) in a diamond pattern.
- 5Pour the remaining water into large baking dish, place ham on oiled wire rack over dish. Brush ham all over with honey glaze. Roast, uncovered, 1 hour or until browned, brushing frequently with glaze during cooking.
Reserve the rind from the ham after it has been removed. When storing the ham (or the leftovers), re-cover the leg's cut surface with the reserved rind this will keep it moist. Use a small sharp knife to cut through the rind about 10cm from the shank end of the leg. Gently lift rind off in one piece by running your thumb around edge of rind just under the skin. Pull the rind from the widest edge of the ham and up to the shank end until removed. Score the fat, about 1cm deep to cut through the surface of the fat, in a diamond pattern, taking care not to cut into the meat. The diagonal scores should be about 3cm apart. Pour water into a large baking dish to keep the ham moist during cooking. Place ham on an oiled wire rack over the dish and brush all over with glaze. Place in a preheated oven and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour or until browned. Brush frequently with glaze during cooking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 easy Japanese dishesAug 02, 2020
- Roast lambAug 02, 2020
- Cheese delightsAug 02, 2020
- Cauliflower cream soup with mushroomsAug 02, 2020
- Healthy lunchbox recipesAug 02, 2020
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerAug 02, 2020
- Savoury apple sauceAug 02, 2020
- Cheesecake recipesAug 02, 2020
- Our favourite family roastsAug 02, 2020
- Healthy and tasty low-fat recipesJul 30, 2020
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseJul 30, 2020
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toJul 30, 2020
- Lamb shanks massamanJul 29, 2020
- Healthy banana breadJul 29, 2020
- Sensational savoury piesJul 29, 2020