- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 90 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon water, approximately
- ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 cup milk
- 1Sift flours and sugar into bowl, rub in butter. Add egg and enough water to make ingredients cling together. Press dough into a ball, knead on floured surface until smooth. Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 3Roll dough on floured surface until large enough to line 23cm pie plate. Lift pastry into pie plate, gently ease into side of plate, trim edge.
- 4Place pie plate on oven tray, line pastry with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans, bake further 10 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly, cool.
- 5Meanwhile make custard filling Whisk eggs, extract and sugar in bowl until combined. Heat milk until hot, quickly whisk into egg mixture.
- 6Pour custard into pastry case, bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle custard evenly with nutmeg, bake further 15 minutes or until custard is just set, cool. Refrigerate until cold.
Recipe can be made a day ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020