- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup (140g) coconut
- 6 glacé cherries, quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions. Stir in essence, sifted flour and coconut in 2 batches.
- 2Line oven trays with baking paper. Drop level tablespoons of mixture onto trays about 5cm apart. Place a cherry quarter on top of each macaroon.
- 3Bake in oven about 40 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on trays.
Although almonds were the key ingredient in traditional macaroons, coconut quickly became an equally popular adaptation. Can be made a week ahead store in airtight container freeze suitable microwave not suitable.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Gingerbread christmas treesToday 1:00pm
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesToday 1:33am
- DukkahYesterday 11:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Mocha mi suYesterday 1:00pm
- Crackling hamYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make buttercream icing for cakes and cupcakesYesterday 1:11am
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- Millionaire's shortbreadDec 09, 2019
- Christmas celebration salad with maple dressingDec 09, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafDec 08, 2019
- Spiced sweet potato tartDec 08, 2019
- Sweet potato, mint and goat’s cheese tartletsDec 08, 2019