- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup (140g) coconut
- 6 glacé cherries, quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions. Stir in essence, sifted flour and coconut in 2 batches.
- 2Line oven trays with baking paper. Drop level tablespoons of mixture onto trays about 5cm apart. Place a cherry quarter on top of each macaroon.
- 3Bake in oven about 40 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on trays.
Although almonds were the key ingredient in traditional macaroons, coconut quickly became an equally popular adaptation. Can be made a week ahead store in airtight container freeze suitable microwave not suitable.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mixed berry clafoutisYesterday 12:14am
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019
- Berry and coconut chia puddingAug 07, 2019
- 22 pasta recipesAug 07, 2019
- Roast vegetable spelt pastaAug 06, 2019
- 10 easy bread recipesAug 06, 2019
- Slow-cooked lamb with braised green beansAug 06, 2019
- Chicken dinner recipesAug 06, 2019