- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup (140g) coconut
- 6 glacé cherries, quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions. Stir in essence, sifted flour and coconut in 2 batches.
- 2Line oven trays with baking paper. Drop level tablespoons of mixture onto trays about 5cm apart. Place a cherry quarter on top of each macaroon.
- 3Bake in oven about 40 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on trays.
Although almonds were the key ingredient in traditional macaroons, coconut quickly became an equally popular adaptation. Can be made a week ahead store in airtight container freeze suitable microwave not suitable.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019