Classic beef stew
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 kilogram chuck steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 6 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 6 pickling onions, halved
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large swede, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 50 gram butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoon horseradish cream
- 2 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
Classic beef stew with dumplings
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole dish on high.
- 2Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess. Brown beef, in 2 batches, 2-3 minutes each batch. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same pan on medium. Saute bacon, onion and garlic 4-5 minutes, until bacon is golden.
- 4Return beef to pan with stock, wine, carrots, celery, swede and herbs. Bring to the boil on high. Bake, covered, 1 hour.
- 5Meanwhile, to make dumplings, sift flour into a bowl; season. Rub in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in centre. Stir in combined egg, milk, parsley and horseradish cream. Drop tablespoons of mixture, about 2cm apart, on top of stew. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- 6Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes, until dumplings are golden and cooked through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sichuan ma po tofuMay 20, 2022
- Rosé sangriaMay 19, 2022
- Romesco sauce with eggplant and zucchiniMay 19, 2022
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingMay 19, 2022
- ChurrosMay 19, 2022
- SangriaMay 19, 2022
- 33 our perfect potato salad collectionMay 19, 2022
- Potato and salmon salad with mustardy dressingMay 19, 2022
- Slow-cooker silverbeet dhalMay 19, 2022
- SpanakopitaMay 19, 2022
- Lamb birriaMay 19, 2022
- Sesame Turkish ring breadsMay 19, 2022
- 42 brilliant brownie recipesMay 19, 2022
- Chilli con carneMay 19, 2022
- 30 easy vegetarian curry recipesMay 19, 2022