Cherry syrup cake
- 125 gram (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup (260g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 long strip of lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 200 gram fresh cherries
Cherry syrup cake
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F. Grease a 8cm x 20cm (3¼-inch x 8-inch) loaf pan with a 1.25-litre (5-cup) capacity; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Beat butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in sifted flour and buttermilk, in two batches. Spread mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack placed over an oven tray; remove lining paper. Cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make cherry syrup. Stir sugar, juice, rind and the water in a medium saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, without stirring, for 6 minutes. Add cherries; remove pan from heat. Cool.
- 5Slowly spoon hot syrup and cherries over cake. Place cake on a plate; pour syrup from tray into a small jug.
- 6Serve cake slices, drizzled with remaining syrup.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardYesterday 2:44am
- Cottage pieMay 23, 2022
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeMay 23, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaMay 23, 2022
- Shortbread buttonsMay 23, 2022
- 20 sensational schnitzelsMay 23, 2022
- Winter vegetable bake with tahini-seed crumbleMay 23, 2022
- Italian chicken schnitzelMay 23, 2022